.

.

Monday, June 11, 2012

Maniacal Movie Poster Monday #72!



Carry on Doctor  (The Rank Organisation, 1967)



Silly slapstick, sight gags, and puns as the Carry On gang take on the medical profession (again). I want to see all of these movies - only managed to see two so far.





The Final Terror  (Continental Pictures, 1983)



Look at that cast - all before they were stars - though it appears the producers might have been pushing Rachel Ward - notice her name sticking up a bit?

I saw this one on VHS a thousand years ago - don't remember being particularly impressed - mainly I remember the movie being murky and dark - but I'd like to see it again to make a final determination.






House of Horrors  (Universal Studios, 1946)



The next to last movie for Rondo Hatton, released after his death in early 1946. Poor ol' Rondo - born looking normal, his facial features eventually became malformed due to acromegaly. (I always took that story with a grain of salt, thinking maybe this was hyperbole from the studio publicity machine.) He pursued an acting career - but due to his looks was stuck playing hulking henchman and murderous monsters until his death at the age of 51. He was billed as "The Monster Who Needs No Makeup." Charming.


But I was wrong: here's Rondo as a
young man before the disease struck him.

Here's Rondo near the end of his life.


On the brighter side, Rondo does have a cadre of fans out there - and there's an annual genre awards show named after him in his honor - The Rondo Awards!





Until next post, you Can Poke Me With A Fork, Cause I Am Outta Here!

6 comments:

  1. I love the Rondos! I did a feature on them for Static Multimedia about a year or so ago. He was greatly under-appreciated and labeled.

    You gotta love an Adrian Zmed picture. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I like that they pay homage to Mr. Hatton - and they're some cool awards too.

      And yes, there's always love for the Zmed!

      Delete
  2. Craig, "The Monster Who Needs No Makeup" is probably the worst nickname I can think of. He reminds me of that dude in "The Rocketeer." I wonder if that's a coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not a coincidence - Rick Baker based the sculpt for the prosthetics for that fellow on Rondo Hatton as a tip of the hat to him.

      Delete
  3. Yay for Carry On! Once again, something that was shown frequently on Austrian TV. Seen flicks like Carry On Doctor or Carry On Cruising countless times

    I've seen The Final Terror 1-2 years ago. Lame and boring slasher, the poster artwork is the only really good thing about it. I prefer The Prey which is similar but more entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, your TV sounds so fabulous! You guys got a lot of cool movies!

      Yeah, I didn't rememeber liking The Final Terror much at all - but it seems to have a bit of a following...?

      Delete