.

.

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Saturday Night at the Movies 6/9/12!

Who cares what picture we see?

More than any other time in the history of this blog department, I know for a fact Stefania Girolami does...so we'll go with this one...






Do you think the makers of Shark Attack 3: Megalodon saw this poster?



I first heard about this movie in 1982 when Uncle Bob Martin mentioned it in a Castle Fangor newsletter - which was a Fangoria subscriber bonus - slightly more up-to-the-minute news and thoughts from Uncle Bob - with little or no editorial interference from the publishers, as it was just some stuff he threw onto the wrap around mailing label cover. UB indicated that Universal had successfully gotten this movie yanked from movie screens for its similiarities to Jaws.

Ten years later, having forgotten about the movie, imagine my surprise when I found myself working for the daughter of the film's director Enzo G. Castellari! Her name is Stefania Girolami - and she was an assistant director at that time who hired me for several shows - expect her name to turn up in a lot of the upcoming I Was a Teenage Production Assistant posts!

But I was flabbergasted to find out she was the daughter of the director of this movie and other wild flicks like Inglorious Bastards (the original), Warriors of the Wastelands, Keoma, and 1990: The Bronx Warriors. She told me great stories about acting in this movie - called The Last Shark overseas, and Great White here - for the few days it played theaters - but she didn't have a copy that would play on American VCRs.

Finally, at long last, I have been provided a pretty good copy on DVD - and at long last I have captured the Great White into my video vault. It probably won't survive my long standing expectations - but we could be putting the movie to the test as soon as - tonight - should you decide to come visit!



Until next post, you Can Poke Me With A Fork, Cause I Am Outta Here!

4 comments:

  1. Fabulous! A shark eating a helicopter! People can try to top Jaws but they just can't do it. The bar is so high it'll never happen. Thank you, Steven Spielberg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you know what - even the Jaws producers tried it in Jaws 2 - that shark ate a helicopter too - but you pegged it - that's trying to vault over a bar you're never going to reach. Thank you Steven Spielberg indeed! Cheers!

      Delete
  2. I've seen it a few years ago and I enjoyed it. A fun little Italo ripoff with some hilarious shark scenes. Oh, those Italians... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have guessed you would have gotten the chance to see it - glad to hear it's a bit of all right - cheers!

    ReplyDelete