.

.

Monday, July 7, 2014

Maniacal Movie Poster Monday #171!




Rawhead Rex  (Empire Pictures, 1987)


I saw this one well after its home video release - and I was underwhelmed. Part of the problem I had with the movie was the inexpressive face (as I'm remembering it) on the monster. It seems like it's not articulated and is just frozen in that growling grimace - which makes it look like a cheap Halloween mask. However, this stars David Dukes, who I was not as familiar with at the time, but who I worked with years later - so for him, and to see if I am remembering the creature face correctly - I'd like to see this again.














Creation of the Humanoids  (Emerson Film Enterprises, 1962)

 This is a static little sci fi talkfest made for about $57 - but much like The Amazing Transparent Man - I like this movie. It's got "something." And I'm in good company - this was reportedly Andy Warhol's favorite movie!












Eve of Destruction  (Orion Pictures, 1991)


Saw this one in the theater in 1991 - and enjoyed it. It's over the top and silly - but certainly an entertaining watch.
















Until next post, you Can Poke Me With A Humanoid, Cause I Am Outta Here!

6 comments:

  1. Rawhead Rex is a poor enough film, alright, but being Irish adds an extra layer of entertainment to this one. For a start, it was shot about an hours drive from where I live at the moment, so it's always fun seeing a film location that you recognise in real life. Secondly, quite a few of the cast members are now quite recognisable Irish actors - maybe not so well known in the states - but any regular TV watcher over here knows the faces of Niall Tobin, Donal McCann and Hugh O'Connor. i have the old VHS of this one, and the cover art and poster make it look so much better than it is. Would love to hear a directors commentary including Clive Barker, as he allegedly hates what they did to his original story, which spurred him on to direct his own material, leading to Hellraiser! So there is something to be thankful to Rawhead Rex for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see where you're coming from - I'd be chuffed to see any movie shot practically in my backyard as well - and yes - very thankful for anything that got us Hellraiser! Cheers!

      Delete
  2. The problem with a well-designed but poorly realized creature is it tends to be a statue more than a monster. Much less scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RawheadRex - such an awesome poster for such a silly film =)

    ReplyDelete